The ‘Bite-sized Tips’ series began when I realised after years of reading, writing and translating that I wasn’t actually that clear about grammar, spelling and punctuation rules.
While we may get away with a few errors in our own work if we’re consistent throughout a document, when we’re editing and revising others’ output, it’s imperative to understand these rules and justify any changes we make. That’s why I chose the New Oxford Style Manual as my go-to style guide.
I soon also turned to The Chicago Manual of Style for UK and US differences and because Chicago sometimes explains things better with more accessible examples.
I’ve now added Butcher’s Copy-editing and other reference books on proofreading, punctuation and style to my shelves.
If you’d like to find out more about why I spend time on this type of post, please read: Why All the Fuss about Spellings and Style Guides?
The ‘Bite-sized Tips’ series is divided into posts on: ‘Common Mistakes in Papers for Publication’, focusing on errors I’ve noticed in my editing work of academic papers; posts on specific topics (how to write the time, quotation marks, italics, false friends, etc.); and spellings.
Common Mistakes in Papers for Publication
- Some punctuation and spelling basics
- Data is or data are? And some more punctuation errors
- Numbers (1): General, decades and centuries
- Numbers (2): Dates and currencies
- Numbers (3): Percentages, mathematical symbols and footnotes
- Spanish Place Names (How to write them in English)
- Times (Is is a.m. or am? What does 12.00 a.m. mean? And more)
- Watch out for the Dragon (Spelling and punctuation problems with using DNS)
- Quotation Marks or Italics
- False Friends on Hotel Websites
- One Word or Two?
- Ten You Should Know
- Some You Might Not Know (mishmash & some UK/US differences)
- One Word
- Mostly Points & Hyphens
- Two Words
- Only One Word
- All One Word Again
- By the Sea
- Fighting the Spellcheckers
- Pesky Hyphens
- Some that might trip you up
- Some Tricky Ones
- Another Ten
- Getting Trickier Every Time
- The Dragon Agrees (10 spellings DNS gets right)
- Disagreements with the Dragon (10 things DNS gets wrong)